x

Questions about Square Gift Cards Repricing (1/31/24)

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Gift Card Load fees?!"

So let me get this straight.  Square now wants to charge a 2.5% fee for loading gift cards, on top of the card processing fee if they use a card to pay with it?  So if someone buys one of my cards and puts $50 on it, pays with a credit/debit card, I have to $5 in fees??  I lose $5 plus the cost of the card.  Is this correct?  If it is, then I might just have to leave square.  I set up a reloadable loyalty card for my customers to pay with to get discounts and now new fee is a big bag over the head and punch in the face to my business.  I thought you were supposed to be helping businesses.  Not screwing them out of even more money!

2DE772D1-72D0-49CA-B4DF-6AAA0C1C4CCF.jpeg

Message 1 of 187
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Questions about Square Gift Cards Repricing (1/31/24)

Hi @Lovewell , it is true that the 2.5% load fee will apply to both physical and eGift Cards, as they have much of the same functionality and benefits like driving overspend on the balance, customer acquisition, integrated reporting, etc.  

I just wanted to try and clarify one thing. In the example you gave of selling small denomination gift cards at Christmas as gifts for teachers, you mentioned that the sales don't count until the gift card is used, however you are deposited the funds that you received from when the card was originally loaded/bought right away (according to your deposit schedule). Even if the teachers never come back to redeem the cards, you did still make a profit from the sale of the card. 

Verified Answer

Re: Questions about Square Gift Cards Repricing (1/31/24)

Hi again @dsachs - Looking at your Seller Community profile, I can see you have posted a total of 6 times. All 6 of your posts are still linked to this thread.

The 2.5% gift card load fee will not apply to refunds or store credit issued to Square Gift Cards.

Verified Answer

Re: New Load Gift Card Load Fee?!

Regarding passing the fees onto the customer, every country and state has their own laws on how to enact surcharges. You must make sure you understand local laws before ever passing on any type of transaction or processing fee to a customer. 

Verified Answer

Re: Gift Card Load fees?!

Hi there @skateman81 and @Jenthom08 - Thank you for sharing your feedback. I can certainly provide some more information to help explain this recent change.

After March 1, 2024, anytime you load a gift card or an eGift card in-store or a customer buys an eGift card online through your eGift card order site, you will be charged an additional 2.5% gift card load fee based on the total amount loaded on the card. For example, if you sell a $100 gift card to a customer, you pay a $2.50 (2.5%) load fee on the transaction plus any other standard Square processing fees (like credit card processing fees). This load fee will be charged for gift cards loaded through any payment method, including credit cards, cash, or other tender payment types.

The load fee will be subtracted from your daily sales (Square balance), similar to how Square credit card processing fees are usually deducted. If your daily sales don’t cover the total fee, the remaining balance will be debited from your linked bank account linked to your Square account.

Square Gift Cards have long been free to use (with the exception of regular Square processing fees and the cost to order physical gift cards). While we have been happy to offer this pricing for quite awhile, as we continue to build more advanced features, we need to make this update so we can continue investing in the product to continue helping sellers like you. 

We believe that by lowering the cost of physical gift cards, it will make it easier for businesses like yours to continue to offer gift cards to your customers. The 2.5% per load fee ensures that you can sell as many or as few gift cards as your customers need without having to pay expensive monthly saas fees to offer gift cards like some other POS systems charge. 

We completely understand that this price change may affect your operations and overall business costs. This is not something we take lightly. As we continue to build more advanced features, we need to make this update so we can continue investing in the product to continue helping sellers like you. 

You can also review this Suppot Article for more details.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

3 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there @skateman81 and @Jenthom08 - Thank you for sharing your feedback. I can certainly provide some more information to help explain this recent change.

After March 1, 2024, anytime you load a gift card or an eGift card in-store or a customer buys an eGift card online through your eGift card order site, you will be charged an additional 2.5% gift card load fee based on the total amount loaded on the card. For example, if you sell a $100 gift card to a customer, you pay a $2.50 (2.5%) load fee on the transaction plus any other standard Square processing fees (like credit card processing fees). This load fee will be charged for gift cards loaded through any payment method, including credit cards, cash, or other tender payment types.

The load fee will be subtracted from your daily sales (Square balance), similar to how Square credit card processing fees are usually deducted. If your daily sales don’t cover the total fee, the remaining balance will be debited from your linked bank account linked to your Square account.

Square Gift Cards have long been free to use (with the exception of regular Square processing fees and the cost to order physical gift cards). While we have been happy to offer this pricing for quite awhile, as we continue to build more advanced features, we need to make this update so we can continue investing in the product to continue helping sellers like you. 

We believe that by lowering the cost of physical gift cards, it will make it easier for businesses like yours to continue to offer gift cards to your customers. The 2.5% per load fee ensures that you can sell as many or as few gift cards as your customers need without having to pay expensive monthly saas fees to offer gift cards like some other POS systems charge. 

We completely understand that this price change may affect your operations and overall business costs. This is not something we take lightly. As we continue to build more advanced features, we need to make this update so we can continue investing in the product to continue helping sellers like you. 

You can also review this Suppot Article for more details.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 187

Best Answer

Regarding passing the fees onto the customer, every country and state has their own laws on how to enact surcharges. You must make sure you understand local laws before ever passing on any type of transaction or processing fee to a customer. 

Violet

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

View Best Answer >

Message 25 of 187

Best Answer

Hi all, please know that I am continuing to work directly with the Gift Cards Team to get answers to some of the more complicated questions on this thread that our Support Teams and Moderators were not briefed to address for this launch.

I have a limited amount of knowledge on this topic myself, so I appreciate your patience while I work with our experts on our Product Teams to get more detailed information for you.

Violet

View Best Answer >

Message 116 of 187
186 REPLIES 186

We already pay almost $300/month to use Square services (Square for Retail, Loyalty, Marketing). To be charged now for selling gift cards? Really? Yeah, that's a no go for us. I feel like we already pay enough in monthly fees. We also have to purchase the gift cards to use not to mention the credit card processing fees for the payment. Keeping track of our gift cards should be done by coding already embedded in the software that we pay a monthly fee for currently. Why exactly does Square need to charge even more fees on top of what we already pay to load a gift card? And even if Square is dead set on charging a load fee, why is it a percentage vs a flat fee? Does a $200 gift card require any more work than a $10 gift card? We are already looking at different POS systems. If Square doesn't re-consider this fee, we will be switching POS systems this year for sure.

Message 169 of 187
Beta Member

Square needs to offer a partial refund to those of us who purchased a bulk order of cards. I'm sitting here with 1,000 brand new in box cards.  But they already have the money I paid for them, AND now they're taking a percentage of what gets added to it! 

From a square agent:

I am sorry to hear this. This is due to Square's new policies regarding gift cards. Unfortunately if you purchased them previously I cannot offer any refunds, as the new policies were not in effect at the time you purchased them.

Square is on their way to losing my business... But do they really care?!

Message 170 of 187

We sell close to $30,000 in gift cards annually. That is an extra $750.00 in load fees on top of all the fees we already pay to Square monthly and for credit card processing. This is the straw that broke the camel's back, people. I am meeting with our bank tomorrow to discuss other POS system options that they work with as well as exploring other options out there. They have yet to say what this new "load fee" is going to. I would imagine all the "work" that goes into selling a gift card and keeping records of them is already built into the software, right? And how does a $200 gift card require more work to load than a $10 or $25 gift card?

Message 171 of 187

How and when were you notified of the recent gift card fee change?   I don't find any correspondence from Square. 

Thanks 

Message 172 of 187

Thanks for reaching out, @mablack

I believe an email was sent out to the address on file for the account. I apologize if you did not receive the email, but also recommend checking your spam/bulk folder. 

I am merging your post to this thread where other sellers have been discussing the update. We merge posts to keep track of feedback, and for posting updates when applicable. 

Message 173 of 187

I see you replying to the question of being informed about gift card changes, but no one has replied yet to my inquiry about the effects on reporting.  As @bkraft has seconded, the reconciliation process has been a mess.  Is anyone listening??

Message 174 of 187
Beta Member

Legitimately was JUST coming back to use Square for our card processing and gift cards. Guess not any more.

Message 175 of 187
Beta Member

Also disappointed in this change.

Message 176 of 187

@_Violet or someone else from Square, I previously email Square about this and got the big blow off.  Could you please update on this important reporting issue...

For bookkeeping purposes, now (on daily Sales Reports) when you subtract Fees from Total collected from Card, the amount no longer aligns with the Balance that was actually deposited. Nobody should have to navigate to yet another screen to see the actual balance deposited.  It's bad enough that there are now new load fees on the gift cards, but for the love of all that is good, PLEASE roll the new fees into total fees on the Dashboard & Daily Sales Reports!!!

Message 177 of 187
Beta Member

PLEASE roll the new fees into total fees on the Dashboard & Daily Sales Reports!!!

Seconding this! The reconciliation process has been a mess since this update. Please update.

Message 178 of 187
Beta Member

This is getting ridiculous. First they remove the ability to surcharge and now I pay to have a gift card loaded. I also see that they have reduced the actual price of the physical card to offset the new fee which is great. Are they going to reimburse us the difference for the cards we have already purchased but haven't used yet. I'm done with square. I have researched other POS systems and they have better functionality and don't charge these load fees and have surcharging capabilities. 

Message 179 of 187

So where is everyone moving their gift card sales to? These fees are outrageous and deceptive. 

Message 180 of 187
Beta Member

This is yet just another reason we are seriously contemplating on dumping Square. They are becoming the masters of bait and switch to lure in new users to their systems and then when they need to make their stock investors happy, start gouging us with these fees.

I would love to know what that 2.5% is going to be used for... the new features they are talking about. 

Our company sells a lot of items that don't have a huge markup, the 2.6% fee was already hurting on those items and we do not pass that fee onto our customers. Now adding 2.5% on top of that doesn't leave a whole lot left. Raising our prices is counterproductive especially since the government is working so hard to get inflation down.

Looks like Square is helping keep inflation up. We should pass this thread along to the feds 😉

Thanks again Square for ruining my day. Probably tomorrow your systems will be down again and I won't be able to process cards all day. Cash Is King!!

Message 181 of 187

The new 2.5% gift card load fee is very difficult to swallow as an ADDED cost to a gift card transaction. Historically the transaction fees charged by Square have been justifiable (even in the face of banks and card processors who try to convince you otherwise) BECAUSE of the added value of the Square software, not to mention the hidden fees with traditional merchant accounts. The subscription fees for advanced services like payroll and appointments make perfect sense. This gift card load fee is out of place among Square's other pricing, seems to border on qualifying as a junk fee, and I certainly hope Square will reconsider to keep the gift card business on their system.

Message 182 of 187

Bigger issue now is tracking the gift cards sold prior to the price change.  The Dashboard no longer includes them in the reports.  SInce we can't track via customer, I'm at a loss as to what was actually redeemed by older cards and what is old card sales.  AND you treat giftcards as "card not present" transactions now?  So it's actually higher fees than you are advertising.  

Message 183 of 187

I literally have like, a panic attack every time a client uses a gift card now BUT I have been finding the old gift cards under the Cards On File payment section. I would have never guessed that because I don't keep cc info! 

Message 184 of 187

This is freaking ridiculous.  You get your $$$$ Square when I sell the gift card.  Now you're taking 5%?  I pay you for 6 locations @ $600 a month plus 2.x% of a **bleep**load of sales and you nickel and dime like this?

Message 185 of 187

Considering square is not responding there is only one thing to do here, folks. Start a class action lawsuit. 

Dm if you are interested in joining

Message 186 of 187
Beta Member

I'm onboard with this idea. They have messed up so many things on us and the amount of time and money it costs us is just ridiculous. And we are so invested in the system now... been with Square for 7+ years. Biggest bait and switch scam in history. Get you on board with great rates, low fees, refund transaction fees with returns and they little by little, take it all away.

No customer support.

No follow up.

No fixes.

No solutions.

But this must all be great for their shareholders. Profits Profits Profits.

Message 187 of 187