x

Posting IOS vs. Android Compatibility for Bluetooth Printers

First, why doesn't Square post IOS vs. Android Compatibility when showing compatible printer devices?  I purchased 2 Bluetooth devices only to find out right now that Android is not Bluetooth.  

Second, STOP CATERING TO IOS!!!!  There is a huge Android user base and to not support the same features on Android that you do on IOS is just bs.  IOS is overpriced on a consistent basis, we want to use your product but the IOS tie in leaves a very negative taste in mouths.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Hello @KingViewMead !

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with Android bluetooth connectivity.

Square does have a hardware compatibility page on their help pages, and after digging into the printer sections, it does look like there are no bluetooth compatible printers available in the android world. 😞

As for the preference towards iOS devices, I know that Square was originally developed for the iOS world. As the software grew, Android engineers were brought in to make the system compatible on both OS'es. Yes, the development for Android is lagging behind a bit, but I know that Square is committed to developing for the Android OS--A look at their open jobs page shows quite a few Android engineer positions available.

I'm no developer, but my bet is that development lags on the Android world because of the myriad of devices and OS versions that are present. Having so many "if this OS version, this size screen, this hardware compatibility" layers entered into the code can lead to buggy software, which nobody wants to see.

Hopefully there will be continued convergence on features as the software continues to evolve!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2