x

Over Tipping Message to customers

My customers are receiving emails stating they may have over tipped.    When I look at the actual receipt, the numbers are correct with tips ranging from 18 to 25%.    The customer email  (notice) changes the figures to show a huge tip amount although the final amount paid is the same.    Has anyone else seen this issue?    Is there a solution?    Customers are not happy and it takes a while to explain the problem and explain they did not really over tip!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hello @HelloCarris, I appreciate you reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I am not currently seeing any reports of this issue with tipping. I certainly understand your concern and want to make sure this gets resolved, so it doesn't cause any more confusion for your customers. Do you have a screenshot of the message? 

Message 2 of 6

I do have a screenshot but I am unable to attach a picture in this response. The receipt shows that the total was $52 and the tip was $78, and informed the customer that they tipped 152% their bill when really the tip was only 15%, and the full total was $130. This is not a one time instance, as it has occurred multiple times with different customers. 

Message 3 of 6

image000000.jpeg

Message 4 of 6

IMG_1907.png

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HelloCarris - Violet here, following up for @MayaP. It looks like you still need help with this, so I kept the ball rolling on your inquiry.

I reached out to our engineering team to see if they could provide more context on this. Here's what they let me know:

"Those screenshots look like buyer card/bank statements, not something being sent by Square. So this suggests that some information making its way to the card issuer about the transactions is not correct as to the totals.

Perhaps it's a split tender transaction, and only the credit card portion is showing up in their bank feed (making it look like the tip was too high as a percentage of the total amount to the bank’s models)?

Or potentially maybe an unintended side effect of the new ‘open tabs’ feature, where the bank is only including the initial authed amount in the ‘bill’ and then presuming the whole over-capture amount is the ‘tip’ (when in reality it could represent both tip and additional items added to the tab after the initial auth).

We need some more details like example transactions to dig further, but figuring out if either of these two features above are being used in the problematic transactions would help determine the right team to escalate to."

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 👀

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Message 6 of 6