x
Beta Member

Square Online: Item-Level Sales Tax for Shipping Orders

Hello, I'm a Square Online seller and website designer that helps Square Online sellers.

I'm testing sales tax rates for Square Online shipping orders for one of my clients.

Two sales tax rates have been added –

Settings > Account & Settings > Business Information >

Sales taxes > In-person sales taxes

One rate is associated with the tax registration state (NY 8%).

The second rate, 10%, has been created manually.

The 10% rate has been assigned to an item –

Items & Orders > Items > Item library [select item] > Edit item > Taxes

When I go to Virtual Terminal > Take a Payment and add the item, sales tax is calculated correctly at 10%.

When I go to the Square Online live Shop All page, add the same item to a cart, proceed through checkout and select Shipping, the sales tax is calculated incorrectly at the 8% tax registration rate.

Screenshots are attached for your reference.

Is it possible to adjust settings so the item level sales tax rate (10%) is properly calculated for online orders that are shipped?

Thank you in advance for any helpful assistance. 

item-tax-rate.pngshipping-order.pngshipping-tax-settings.pngtax-rate-virtual-terminal.pngtax-registration-rate-8.png

Susan J.
Square Online seller, website designer and artist

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @taylorandjones,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this! We would like to take a closer look at this for you. Can you please provide us with the link to your website?

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Hello @Ellie_ Thank you very much for reaching out! 

Here is the item on my test store that I'm using to observe the sales tax calculation behavior:

https://taylor-jones-testing.square.site/product/white-wine-2022-vintage/43

I appreciate your time and attention!

Susan J.

Message 3 of 9
Beta Member

Hello @Ellie_ Touching base again and wondering if you've discovered any work arounds. It would be great to resolve this sales tax issue so my client can start selling online 😀 I truly appreciate your help!

Susan J.

Message 4 of 9
Square Champion

@taylorandjones @You mention this below, I’m wondering if you can add your test tax rate to another area, possibly ONLINE (instead of, or in addition to, the IN PERSON rate:

Settings > Account & Settings > Business Information >

Sales taxes > In-person sales taxes

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 5 of 9
Beta Member

Hello @HC_Charlie Thank you for digging into this with me. Can you please shed more light on the test you suggest, e.g. add tax rate to another area. I appreciate you!

Susan J.

Message 6 of 9
Square Champion

Hello @taylorandjones , I was hoping there was something more configurable, but it looks like most of these tax settings are "auto" calculated. I'm afraid I'm at a loss because it doesn't seem allowable to turn off the auto calculation...the only other option is turning of taxes all together. Maybe another seller with more experience selling in multiple states/tax jurisdictions will have some better answers for you. Wish I could assist more.

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

Thank you @HC_Charlie. I'm determined to find answers so the search continues…

All the best!

Susan J.

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

Hello @Ellie_ I'm checking in about this item-level or use in-person sales tax rates for online alcohol orders that are shipped.  It would be awesome if we can workaround or resolve this sticking point so my client can offer shipping fulfillment on her new Square Online store. Do you have updates or progress to report?

I appreciate your guidance!

Susan J.

Message 9 of 9