x

Coupon only applying to one item instead of the whole cart

Hi, I'm trying to make a coupon that takes 15% off an entire category. But when I test it, it only takes the 15% off of one item in the cart. I've tried setting it to the category level and I tried making it on the individual item level and it still only takes the percentage off of one item. How do I make it apply to everything in the cart of that category?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hello there, @Josh123

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to apply a category-based coupon to all the items of that category. The coupon would only apply to the highest priced item. This would be a feature request, and you can submit that here.

Could confirm how you sell your articles (in person, online or both?) That way I can also make sure I am giving relevant workarounds that other sellers have tried. 

The way it stands currently, if you are selling in person, your best solution available is to discount it manually when they present the coupon. 

I hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 6

Hi @Summer2024 I sell both in store and online, but I only need this to work online. 

Message 3 of 6

@Josh123, thanks for clarifying! Have you followed the steps below? If so, and it is still not working, I will reach out to our engineers and see if something is experiencing a glitch.

1. Go to the Items section of the online Square Dashboard 

2. Select Discounts 

3. Click Create a Discount 

4. Enter the discount details, including the name, amount, and applicable locations 

5. Toggle on Discount Rules 

6. Click Edit purchase rule and select Item or Category 

7. Search and select the items or categories to automatically discount 

8. Click Save 
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Summer2024 

So I wasn't looking to create a discount. I already have these items discounted because they're clearance items. The idea was to create a sale whereby people could save an additional amount on top of the pre-existing discount in order to help clear out my clearance section. 

I think I may have found a workaround, but just in case, what would you suggest?

Message 5 of 6

@Josh123, ah I see what you are saying now. 

If you apply the coupon to specific item instead of category when creating the campaign (or the coupon), you'll be able to add multiple items. A little extra work on the backend, but it should do what you are wanting it to do. Here's an example: 

Message 6 of 6