x

Square Register "Configure Device" lock down

Just got our two Square Registers and so far so good. Just some odd things noticed. 

When at the PIN screen, anyone can walk up to the Square Register and click on "Configure Device" in the top left.  I see this as a huge security issue.  Our registers are out in the open in a college cafe and anyone can walk up and possibly change Wi-Fi settings, time settings or even Factory Reset the device in there.

Any way to lock this down?    I would think you could put it behind the Owner passcode to get into those settings or even a separate passcode local on the machine to lock it down.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cashxx,

Thanks for being a member of the Community.

Yes, our Square’s Team Management features enable you to create a shared Team Passcode that enables your team to access what they need at your point of sale and/or online Square Dashboard while restricting areas and functions you deem necessary.

You can learn more about setting up a Team Passcode in our Support Center.

Let me know if this helps.

Message 2 of 5

@RobynR Sorry, but not the same thing.  The Square Registers have an option at the top left of the screen for "Configure Device".   To my knowledge that isn't controlled by Team Management.

IMG_0140.png

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cashxx,

Thank you for replying and providing a screenshot.

Once you have set up the team passcode, you can edit the permission of your team members so that they do not have access to the "Configure Device" setting.  

The screenshot above shows the Permission setting where you can toggle off team member access.

To set permissions for a team member:

From your online Square Dashboard:

1. Visit Staff > Team > Permissions in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Select Team Permissions.
  3. Create or generate a random team passcode. Record and share this passcode with your team.
  4. Select the permissions you'd like all team members to have. If a team member tries to access an area you haven't selected, they'll need a passcode from a team member with the correct permissions enabled to proceed.
  5. Click Save.

Please let me know if this works.

Message 4 of 5

@RobynR A Team passcode is set. For Team settings I have "Configure Device Security Settings" disabled.  Teams doesn't have full access either. All that is enable is "Configure hardware settings" to add devices if they would happen to disconnect or something and "Review and authorize/reject risky transactions"

I don't recall the exact labels, but on the Square Register I have Team passcode disabled because when it is on and you reboot the register it skips past the Enter your PIN page and goes to the Checkout screen and asking to Open the Cash Drawer.  Maybe that is why "Configure Device Security" isn't taking effect?  If I have to turn on Team Passcode again I need it to only go to the PIN page to force cashiers to login first.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5