x

How do I cancel a payment marked on an invoice?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Applied Cash Payment by accident]

I accidently posted a payment by check to an invoice.  But... it is an invoice for the wrong customer.  How to I remove the payment so this customer still has a balance and I can email the invoice for payment.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Hi there @phillipscarspa,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community.

At this moment, we do not have a way to "cancel" or "reverse" a payment marked on the balance of an invoice. This goes for transactions marked as cash, check, card, or other. The only workaround we recommend to balance your books is to issue a refund.

After refunding the accidental check payment, you would then have to issue a new invoice for the remaining balance that your customer has agreed to pay.

Please let us know if you have any other questions by replying in this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 3

I would also like a way to "void" payement for a customer invoice without issuing a refund. A customer gave me a check that was written improperly so the bank would not accept it. I don't feel a refund is really an appropriate method of handling this situation.

Message 3 of 3