x
Admin

What do you do to keep your employees happy to come to work each day?

Hey everyone, I'm back with another question on my mind!

Hiring has been a hot topic lately as the landscape keeps changing. But once you've hired great members for your team, it's important to retain them.

As such, we'd love to know:

What do you do to keep your employees happy to come to work each day?

qotw.gif

Can't wait to read all your tips and best practices! 

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Square Champion

We work with our partners to co-create product- allow them to stretch their creativity muscles and shine... they are allowed to take ownership of projects and see them through. Even if I (or my partner) would have done it slightly differently- we let them go with it as it gives them pride to not always be corrected or have their ideas changed. 

We offer annual raises, we offer paid travel with us to trade shows, we offer free lunches, paid lunch whether we bought you lunch or not you don't need to clock out for your break... we offer OT, sick time.. lots of freebies (whenever we go to a trade show we buy each staff member something from the show).

I'd like to think it's because of this- and the fact that we very much do care for our entire team- that we have team members that have been sticking around - the majority of our staff has been with us 2+ years.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 22 of 25
Square Champion

Stocked fridge.

Employees write their schedule at their leisure. 
Only two blackout dates for vacations (Halloween and New Years Week)

Extremely competitive pay

Most of our staff skews younger (High School juniors/seniors, college) and it's sad when they move on to better and greater things but we generally have their friends/family replace them.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 23 of 25
Beta Member

I never ask staff to do a task I wouldn't do myself, and I avoid giving them the worst chores. (Which means I'm always the one who tackles the bathroom at the end of service 🤣)

We include staff in the 'fun stuff' such as  product tastings, especially wine, i.e. it's never a case of someone arriving for their shift and finding new pours they know nothing about - they taste everything and learn about what they're selling.

We also pay above award, are super flexible with rostering, provide free food and make sure breaks are taken. 

Message 24 of 25
Square Champion

These are really great ways to show you actually care about your employees.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 25 of 25