x
Square Champion

Social platforms for clients/customers?

🤔 Does anyone use Discord, Slack, Pumble or other social networks for customers who want to have an online peer group to chat with each other? Would you want them to be in charge or you to be in charge of management and moderation of the account?

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square Champion

This is so interesting! Can you explain what you mean by this or what you envision this looks like? Or maybe the end goal? Sorry if these are dumb questions but we are intrigued! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 2 of 10
Square Champion

Hi 🙂 after asking this in our Question thread back in June we decided to set up a Discord for our studio members (250 people). I am not sure 100% of the end goal but responses have so far been positive @Lovewell. With some Q&A from @maxpete,  we set up a Discord that puts us in charge as moderators and uses some bot responses as well. Our members wanted a way to keep track of events - upcoming classes, holiday potlucks, etc where they weren't just engaging with a calendar but were able to talk to each other about making work for a particular firing, what dish they were bringing to the potluck, checking in about work progress etc. We were like 100% NOOOOOOOOOOOOO because we use Slack for internal communication and answer emails, messages via Square etc. all day long. But talking to Max and a few other folks convinced us that it was ok to offer this to our members. 

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

Message 3 of 10
Admin

So glad to hear that your members are enjoying their experience on Discord! You are a natural community builder!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 4 of 10
Square Champion

Okay this is so fun! 
I don’t know how that would look for a coffee shop (will be pondering this for the next while) BUT as someone who would be a customer this sounds amazing. Also as a customer I feel like I’d want you to moderate it? Doesn’t really answer your question since we don’t have experience with this but from the outside looking in this seems amazing and something we’d be part of if we could:) 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 5 of 10
Admin

I think this could be awesome for your spot and it doesn't just have to be centered around the coffee shop etc. For example, you could do something like a Community of Practice and open up a community for small business owners in Ventura or maybe Harry Potter fans, etc. Then you could offer the shop as the in-person meet-up location if you ever hosted events, etc. 

Just spitballing ideas, but communities can be for many things and definitely have a lot of possibilities! 

I do agree that if you have a customer-facing community, it is always good to have the owner have a big presence in there to connect more with everyone. 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 6 of 10
Square Champion

LOVE this. This has come up recently where it feels like we have a big opportunity and call to be cheerleaders for other small businesses. Let the brainstorming begin. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 7 of 10
Square Champion

That is SO interesting! I am sure this beats email in terms of engagement and still works as social media minus all of the disruption from other businesses. Very clever idea!

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 8 of 10
Square Champion

Yes - we are talking about the ethical use of gold-luster a conversation difficult to have since folks aren't here at the same time - and community sourcing enough work to make the firing a success. It has been a nice place for discussion and celebration as well - we hosted a Pride Month potluck and the members helped celebrate my name change and sent personal messages in Discord. While I was initially put off I think this has many applications for connection. 
@Lovewell we found that many of our members were already connected on other Discords for gaming and other Atlanta hang-out things so they naturally gravitated to wanting us to use the platform.

Deklan (Dex) they/them]

Message 9 of 10
Square Champion

I haven't used any of those platforms, but I definitely could see them working with different businesses.  I think the owner or manager should definitely be a moderator so they can be as involved as possible.  

Jacqueline Mull
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Owner of Uniquely U Anime

Message 10 of 10