x
Square Champion

If you could time travel... What are 3 things you would do differently when starting your business?

๐Ÿƒโฐ๐Ÿ˜… We learn so much on the fly as business owners! Most of us thought it was one way and life always likes to surprise us! Thought this would be a great question to answer especially if newer businesses see this and maybe we can help someone not repeat the same "mistake" we did or we can just all laugh together! haha

There's the big picture of maybe we wouldn't change a thing because everything is a lesson and makes our story what it is but we have some things on the list that maybe we would have avoided! 

1)Read profit first BEFORE we started the shop. This would have given us such a good foundation. 

2) Start off knowing what lane you're in and that your race is YOUR race. Not getting caught up. in comparison. 

3) Started immediately with square loyalty and online ordering! That was a game changer for us and we are so glad we decided to dive all in with that. 

So if you had the power of time travel.. what 3 things would you do differently in your business when starting up? 

Can't wait to read your insights and all the stories

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

This is such a fun question @Lovewell!

Really curious to hear from @Stacelyn24@PFS36, and @VanKalkerFarms 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 14
Admin

THIS IS JUICY. 

@Twiggy @Bronze_Palms @Sheli @homeprogreen @anucrown @artizansty curious to see your replies! 

Square Logo
Isabelle
Square Champions Program Manager
Message 3 of 14
Square Champion

Honestly I wouldnโ€™t do much of anything differently. I started out really small and kept expanding as I built up cash flow. For the first 2 1/2 years every penny of profit was invested directly back into the business. 1 thing that I would probably do differently would be to draw up a solid business plan instead of just winging it. That probably wouldโ€™ve helped me to get to the point of paying myself every week a lot sooner 

Steve Green
Mountain Vapors
www.mountainvapors.com
Message 4 of 14
Square Champion

Business plan or a vision is so key! 

We have to look to it often to make sure we are staying on track. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 5 of 14
Square Champion

If we could time travel and start Anu'Crown over again, here are three key things we would do differently:

1. **Outline the Trademark Process Early**: From the beginning, we would prioritize securing our brand's trademark to protect our intellectual property. This would have helped safeguard the Anu'Crown name and logo from the start, ensuring we could confidently build our brand without concerns over potential legal issues. Establishing a solid legal foundation earlier would have been a significant advantage.

2. **Identify Accounting Software and Best Practices**: We would have implemented a robust accounting system right from the beginning, focusing on integrating technology to manage our finances efficiently. Having proper software to track expenses, sales, taxes, and profits would have streamlined our operations and saved time. Additionally, adopting best accounting practices from day one would have allowed us to maintain better control over our cash flow and make informed decisions for growth.

3. **Gain a Mentor and Explore Wholesale Options Earlier**: Finding a mentor within the hat industry would have been invaluable, providing us with guidance, industry insights, and business advice from someone who had already succeeded. Additionally, we would have explored the wholesale option much earlier in the process, allowing us to reach a broader audience and form partnerships with retailers who could carry our brand.

#EmbraceAnuCrown
Message 6 of 14
Square Champion

@anucrown Your number 1! 

We just went to a class about trademarking. We are on the road to get all of our ducks in a row there. Would definitely add that point to our list too! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 7 of 14
Seller Community Mentor

After being self-employed for over 35 years, the most important thing I know now is that you don't know what you don't know.  Ask questions before you do ANYTHING.  Every city and state has their own laws for business.  Find out what you're required to do before you open, to prevent a problem.

We've had the luxury of previously owning an HVAC business before we opened this one, so we learned from that experience what we would do differently when we started this one.

1.  Know your demographics before you open.  Make sure the clientele you're seeking are the ones who will keep your business running.

2.  I was lucky that I innately knew that we needed to brand ourselves from the beginning.  Read Worth Every Penny first, so that you know what you need to do to brand yourself.  It will teach you how to do that!

3.  Go full boar with the socials from day one!  No matter the industry you're in, that's where everyone is!

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 8 of 14
Square Champion

@CareyJo 

Straight to the point! 

Love this. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 9 of 14
Seller Community Mentor

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 10 of 14
Square Champion

Hmmm.  Where to begin?  Iโ€™m going to comply @Lovewell and only list three.  But Iโ€™m betting Iโ€™m going to have to make hard choices about WHICH three! LOL

First โ€” focus.  After 12 years of Piperโ€™s existence (actually this weekend is our 12th anniversary!), Iโ€™d resist the urges to be everything to everyone, to try to do everything better than everyone, etc.  The first concept for Piperโ€™s was ice cream.  I unwisely decided I wanted to add food with a focus on local sourcing and house-made everything (including butter, ketchup, mayo, etc).  It was too much.  Now we only do frozen treats, having exited the insane food business right after the pandemic lockdowns.  Our sales are much better than they were when we had the food component, and the profits are amazing.  These days when anyone asks โ€œyou know what you should do,โ€ I reply with โ€œthatโ€™s a great idea that sounds like something you should start an ice cream shop and do.โ€  Be who you are, and do that better than anyone else.  Period.

Second โ€” I wouldnโ€™t let my business be so darned all-consuming.  Itโ€™s a lesson Iโ€™m learning from my Gen Z employees.  Work is good.  But there should be so much more to life.  If I could go back, Iโ€™d hire good, strong managers to help me, knowing that in the end that cost would yield benefits beyond my business right into my personal life.  I wish Iโ€™d known twelve years ago that I didnโ€™t need to do everything and be everything to Piperโ€™s, and that it still would have been as successful as it is today, if not more so.  I wish I had erected boundaries and honored them.

Third โ€” Be realistic and go into this wide-eyed.  If you canโ€™t accept failure and learn from it, donโ€™t start a business.  If you canโ€™t walk away from it when it is no longer fun or profitable, donโ€™t start a business.  If you canโ€™t afford to hemorrhage money โ€” especially for the first few years, if not longer โ€” donโ€™t start a business.  When you think you have a good business plan, put it aside for a while.  Then go back and change it and make it better.  Do this a few times.  Then, if you have any doubts, donโ€™t start a business.  Remember that very few people have what it takes to be an entrepreneur, much less to be a successful entrepreneur.  Be brutally honest with yourself about whether or not you are or could be that person.

Yup.  Those are my top three.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piperโ€™s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

เคœเฅ‹ เคนเฅˆ เคธเฅ‹ เคนเฅˆ
Message 11 of 14
Square Champion

@TheRealChipA LOVE this answer. Especially the "not being all things to all people" We hear "you know what you should do..." so many times especially opening this new shop and it can be annoying to be honest. When you know your vision it is much easier to ignore those comments. 

Also- Amen to not letting it be all consuming. Some days we are better at that than others. 

We are really working hard on creating an amazing leadership team so we can step back just a little. Our longest time away yet is just around the corner. 19 days of not being in our shop! This will be the true test. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 12 of 14
Square Champion

I am in agreement with number 1 for sure!

But, I'd also go out and look for mentorship.  I've been in business for myself, by myself for so long I see where things were just harder than they had to be because I didn't know better.  

I would take that accounting class I took in college much more seriously!  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 13 of 14

this is a great question..

I think if I could go back in time I think we'd push more on social media (selling) sooner. 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 14 of 14