x
Admin

How long did it take to build up a customer base for your business?

Hey everyone 👋

When you are starting a new venture, it can take a while before you get your first customer and build up a community of customers around your business. And the work doesn’t stop after those early days either. 

Inspired by @Committed's question on how to attract more clients to their business, we’d love to know:

How long did it take to build up a customer base for your business?

What did you do to source them and how did you feel when you got your first yes or that first sale? Share with us below!

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116
Admin

All your creations are so fun and impressive @BalloonCelebrat 🎈 But I have to say, I got distracted by this video — so cute!

What has been the biggest learning for you when it comes to sharing content and leverage Instagram 👀?

Tra | she/her
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 106 of 117

Hello. We are Thai Law, selling Thai cuisine from a food truck. It took about 6 months to build a strong customer base and it just kept growing.

Message 107 of 117
Admin

Glad to hear that it's taken off in a short amount of time!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 108 of 117

Thank you. We are a niche and it helps.

Message 109 of 117
Beta Member

I officially launched my current business in 2021 and went full speed when my other smoothie/vitamin shop biz was in financial decline after the bridge building company, Skanska, left their construction barges/equipment in the bay during a hurricane. The bridge to get to the island we were on got demolished and the only way to get through to the area was by taking a 1.5 to 2 hour long detour through the other side of the island.

Smoothie shop opened in end of February 2020 and surprisingly we were crushing it at the start of the covid shutdown because people didn't have many options of places to go. We strategically hired local kids in the smoothie shop who were very familiar with the community and did lots of social media posting of drinks and stuff. We did giveaways and partnered with the community of local business friends. 

However, after the bridge collapsed about 6 months after the pandemic started, we lost 85% of revenue overnight. It took a year to rebuild the bridge and get the traffic and commute situation back to normal. But after that, people didn't want to stop in for smoothies and vitamins on their commutes. Everyone was traumatized from the traffic nightmare. And the nail in the coffin happened when my biz partner made a fatal mistake of hiring a guy to manage the place who didn't vibe with the customer base, culture or community too well. 

With the new studio and audio service business it took about a year to build up a solid customer base for my recording studio and audio production business. I work as a producer and audio engineer in various sectors or the entertainment and travel industry (music, film, tv, hotels and resorts). After about a year of doing lead generation and hitting the phones and inboxes with heavy sales calls and follow ups, I collected a decent book of clients. Those clients turned into repeat business and I would alway ask for referrals.

Covid Quarantine era was huge growth period for the entertainment industry, specifically the music industry. Record breaking performance of music streaming, which i think finally surpassed the record performance of sold CDS. Remember those lol? Lots of people wanted to make music, content, and stay entertained. 

Now, podcasts are super popular and is a very lucrative lead generation and growth channel for businesses of all sizes. I'm working with some really cool companies that use podcasts to leverage an extremely engaged, educated, and financially stable audience of podcast listeners for business growth.

Social Media never made me money with the studio and audio biz so I never spend much time there. For my business, the leads I generate from social media account for less than 1 percent of my actual paying clients. I'm not 100% sure why that is, but I'll eventually invest some energy into finding out some answers. I target local clients so what was important to me was that my company website had the proper SEO to get people calling in or booking services. I make blog content that targets local audiences with SEO, and I try to update google maps listing with new content. That generates most of my new client acquisition. Once i get email leads, I just use that email list to stay top of mind by sending valuable content, updates, and sales offers

I'm planning on switching gears soon and switching my biz model to do more remote based work so I can travel and enjoy life more without being tethered to one location. That'll be a fun experiment! Business is hard, it's alway changing, is never certain and is never easy. I just try to remember that smooth seas don't make great sailors.

Message 110 of 117
Admin

What a journey! I loved how you adapted and made it through despite the challenges 👏

Also, you're spot on with business being hard, but it is all worth it in the end!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 111 of 117
Seller Community Mentor

Love the sailor analogy!  That's great thinking!  Sounds like you made a fantastic switch in careers!  Congrats!

My guess would be that your type of business doesn't lend well to social media because you're the content producer, not the content advertiser, if that makes sense.  We can't use IG because we can't post pics and vids of what we do, so I don't use it at all and 90% of my FB posts aren't around my business.  My posts are geared towards giving added value simply by engaging culturally with our clients.  I insert about 10% about our business.  Since I don't pay for ads and I do all the posting myself, I'm not worried about ROI.  My only goal is to get people to remember our name so that when they need service, they call.  I offer education, fun, interactive posts about life, family, history and the community.  They see that I'm engaging with them, rather than trying to sell them.  We do heating and air conditioning.  People could care less about our website.  Using FB just to put us out there helps a lot.  I ask every new caller how they heard of us.  About 50% of them say FB, so we are getting revenue and I'm not spending a dime.

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 112 of 117
Square Champion

Sounds like you have a good  approach to business. I have a nephew who works in a similar field (sound engineer for tv) to you and he loves what he does, lots of travelling. You are right when you say business is hard, but as they say its about the journey and the people you meet along the way. Good luck and enjoy!

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 113 of 117

A month for our cookie business! I had a few ideas on how to spark growth and thankfully it worked in our favor! in 3 years we grew to 41k followers on IG & great customer retention!

Message 114 of 117

3-4 years. My parents started selling in a lowest possible rent place in a market they could operate that were open 7 days a week. They didn't even have first, last and security to get in. 

Message 115 of 117

Good to read all this.  I am just starting a soap making venture and I thought it was important to make enough product first before I head out to sell.  

Message 116 of 117
Square Champion

@tranguyen I didn't really start in with any expectations. It just evolved, and in hindsight I wish we could have done more pre and during the pandemic to build the customer base particular for online when the audience was more captive, but we had bigger challenges to address at this point. 

First sales are great, it feels fantastic, but when you look back at where you are now to where you were I should have had many sleepless nights as there is now way I could run a business on the slim picking revenues of the early days. You get there eventually with time though.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 117 of 117