x
Admin

How long did it take to build up a customer base for your business?

Hey everyone 👋

When you are starting a new venture, it can take a while before you get your first customer and build up a community of customers around your business. And the work doesn’t stop after those early days either. 

Inspired by @Committed's question on how to attract more clients to their business, we’d love to know:

How long did it take to build up a customer base for your business?

What did you do to source them and how did you feel when you got your first yes or that first sale? Share with us below!

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116
Admin

Great tip! Glad to hear that it worked for you very well too!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 85 of 117

Far more important than a PLAN is a STRATEGY.

Here's my business plan, formulated when I started in business back in 1988... two words:
"Make Profits"

34 years later, I'm still making profits - but my strategy has changed hundreds of times since then.

STRATEGY is the pathway to how I execute my plan.

"Plans" are easy - as you see, mine is 2 words (as should be for everyone starting in business). What's really hard is formulating the strategy - and this has to be dynamic and flexible, with the capacity to change on the spur of the moment.

The problem with a "plan" is that people stick to it rigidly - often at considerable downside cost.
A strategy is much more important than the "plan".

Message 86 of 117

Our 2 year anniversary is June 1st, we have a "decent" client base. Month after month our ratio of New to Return was 80% New 20% returning and that was constant for I'd say the first 6 months. From them it's been pretty steady Month to Month 50%/50%. So that's a pretty solid foundation. When we opened we did Print and TV advertising and it didn't move the needle much at all and was super expensive (keep in mind this is when we had a cushion of $$, that's all gone now) so we relied on Social Media and doing Events outside our Shop store front. Those 2 things are what drove traffic. It's been touch and go for the last I'd say Year and a Half. 

Now almost 2 years in, the shop supports itself, but not outside that, meaning personal bills or personal income. I've thought I might have to get a side gig, but may be too late for that, not entirely sure. 

Another thing we have been having to deal with is all these, I guess MAGA or super conservative people coming in demanding we stop selling Tea from China, and get rid of all the Non-Christian artwork in our Shop and replace it with Crosses and other Jesus stuff. I won't do that, I can't do that. This isn't a religious shop, nor a political Shop and never will be. In fact I had to put out a post on all our Social Media that we will not tolerate political speech in our shop, it's not the place for it. Oh boy did they chime in on that post. However, most comments were supportive. 

Pudgy's is a Loose Tea & Bulk Spice shop, the only one in town and the only one ever in this town of 135K people. To this day we get people in everyday who had no idea we existed. That is very frustrating. We did everything right, and still its had to break thru. Every time we do a Google Ad, Safeway and Walmart, I'm guessing "Auto" over bid us on the top spots. For example, we did an Ad on Google and Facebook (Facebook being way too expensive in their Ad's) for "Raspberry Chipotle Spice Blend", yada yada yada at Pudgy's Tea & Spice, and within minutes of that Ad popping up on Google or FB, Walmart and Safeway have competing Ad's and because of their brand recognition, we get bumped to 3rd and 4th. We can't compete with that. So we do the best we can with the budget we have,

which pales in comparison to those big chain stores. 

But still we plug along, hoping the rest of the Town wakes up and either hears about us, or just stops by. Don't know if we'll make it, but sure is fun in the mean time. We've also observed something since the Pandemic that's new.....People really just don't want to be around People anymore...known now as "Peopling", they just don't want it. That has effected Events especially. 

So that's my 2 cents on this topic. Hope some lessens can be drawn from it. 

Message 87 of 117
Admin

Congrats on year 2! 

Sorry to hear about the struggles with outbidding on ad placement. I feel like it always takes more time than we may realize for our own brand recognition to start to take effect. So just keep pushing forward because each new customer will tell someone else and that will continue to have a snowball effect!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 88 of 117
Seller Community Mentor

Ok... knowing that you're in Yakima totally explains why you're experiencing this.  My niece and soon to be nephew-in-law live in Spokane and are very much liberal democrats.  I've heard a lot about how the politics are in WA.  I'm sorry you're dealing with that.  I am a Christian and a Trump supporter but I would never dream in a million years, to walk into your shop and tell you what to carry/sell or who to support.  Regardless of my beliefs, it is in no way, shape or form, appropriate for me to tell you how to run your business.  Peopling is becoming a problem in larger cities where everything is A) disposable and B) can be ordered online and delivered.

You made the comment that you 'did everything right'.  Can you elaborate?  Maybe we, as the community, can help you with some suggestions or see something that we could recommend to do differently.  You've learned that those big dollars on ads were not feasible to keep up with, to maintain the stream of customers.  Your focus needs to be on branding - constantly making the public aware of you with consistency.  Your business lends well to IG and FB.  You can do all of that for free, it just takes time, maybe an hour or less per week, to schedule your content.  You don't need ads.  You need a few solid customers to start talking about you.  Do you have a rewards system for shopping in store?  What add-ons do you give those clients who shop in store?  You need the connections.  How about doing a big anniversary party?  Our anniversary is June 6th and we've done several of them.  Have a huge celebration in store, get people in to see your shop and I bet you'll see a difference.  I would blast that all over socials!  Even make flyers and put up on bulletin boards!  Partner with other businesses that you can support like gift shops, kitchen stores and the like.

I can't remember where I mentioned it, but I'm sure that @maxpete can tell us, but a content calendar and some dedicated time is what you need.  Schedule a week's worth of content on both IG and FB and watch your traffic increase.  I can't do IG for our business because I cannot use photos or videos.  You can showcase a different tea everyday.  You can remind people weekly of the rewards and values of visiting your store.  You can show the public why being a boutique business matters and the value you give them on top of their purchase.

I would also highly recommend that you find some networking groups over there.  If you're not a chamber member, join.  Get involved.  Shake hands.  Go to Business After Hours sessions.  Attend anything and everything you can that's free, just to meet people.  Networking groups make a huge difference!

If you haven't read Worth Every Penny, start today!  The book talks about how to not focus on the advertising but rather being a boutique business and adding value.  We do not advertise our business.  We have two tiny ads that run weekly in our local papers, that a few hundred people see.  We only do that because they're local and we have a ton of elderly people in both communities.  We tried the radio for a long time and we lost a lot of money with no ROI and to be honest, I only did it because the guy was in my networking group and I really wanted to gain the brand recognition.  We got that.  People know who we are and still remember our commercials but no ROI.  We lost over 20k on those ads.  Totally not worth it.  What has been worth it is those little newspaper ads and all of my social media posting and being in the networking scene.  I have never paid for an ad on FB and don't intend to.  I tried the Google ones for a few months but they're a big waste of money too and no ROI on those either.  Won't do them again.  Word of mouth is our best friend.  That and my husband's well known skills.

None of us want to see you go under!  Make some connections and let us help you stay above water and start paying yourself!  (That's another book to read - Profit First.)

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 89 of 117

You're a Christian... You have my deepest sympathies.
You're a Trump supporter... you have my most hearfelt condolences.

(In other words... your religion and politics have nothing to do with this discussion. Try to keep them to yourself.)

Message 90 of 117
Admin

Hello everyone, we love seeing all your insights and how much you are supporting each other on this thread. 

However, we kindly ask that you be mindful of the Community Code of Conduct to keep the conversation productive for all. Consider whether the comment you post is going to support those who will read it.

Thank you all as always! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 91 of 117

I shall read those books and thanks for your input

Message 92 of 117
Seller Community Mentor

You're welcome!

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 93 of 117

Hello! I'm a brand new business (Acupuncture) and it took about 3 full months to have 3 consistent return clients. It's a tough wait!! But slow growth is still growth. Teaching yourself social media and marketing is no joke 🙂 Not my strongest attribute, but learning every day. 

Message 94 of 117
Admin

Slow growth is growth, yes! Keep up the progress, you're getting there 👏

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 95 of 117

Roughly 2.5 years to get a solid base of local customers who order my product regularly.

Message 96 of 117

It took me a few weeks to get about 5 clients in the same week, but after that, word of mouth really grew my company exponentially. Its amazing when you give your clients a little incentive to share your business or give them a little discount, how much they actually want to watch you succeed when starting out. In total at around the 6 month mark I felt that my business was established and working well.

Message 97 of 117
Admin

So true about giving your clients a little incentive! Nicely done!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 98 of 117
Beta Member

We are a Restaurant-Cafe (in the UK).
It took us 10-12 months (810 customers as of now).

The biggest drivers were:
- Self-Serve ordering (QR code) as many customers prefer to sit down at their table and use the QR code to place their order through Square Online. As they do, they have to introduce their details in.
- Loyalty Program since many of them like the program and want to enroll on it.

They started to enroll right away, but only after 10-12 months we could feel the impact of all the accrued customers.

You then have to leverage your SMS and Email marketing (set up as many automatons as possible, like all sort of customer reminders and triggers, so it runs on autopilot; then also create your own marketing campaigns from time to time).

www.hopp.bio/munchyhub
www.munchyhub.com
www.munchyhub.shop
Message 99 of 117
Admin

This is so cool and love that Square has helped grow your restaurant-cafe too 🙂 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 100 of 117

For me it was important to build up my clientele and steady orders before taking on the rent and responsibility of a storefront so I did that via social media first working out of my house and private studios for about 10 years before opening my storefront in 2017. These days our business has a very sweet and steady base of regular customers. Some of the best of our "cookie friends" have got engaged, wedding showered, married, baby showered and even 1st birthday and so on with us! Xo

Message 101 of 117
Admin

Super smart approach and lovely to hear about the growth and special memories for you and your customers!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 102 of 117

It took about 2 years to build a solid client base.  However, it's always an ongoing challenge (albeit a fun one!).  We try to keep reinventing ourselves to some degree, to keep things exciting...

Instagram has been a total game changer for us.  @ballooncelebrations

When I started the company I used to dress up in costume (with tap shoes!!) and deliver fake balloon bouquets to popular places like the maternity ward.  When I got back to my "office" (a desk I rented in another business) I would have a few orders on my answering machine.  I literally tried everything I could think of to attract attention.

For many years we have had a storefront on a popular shopping street, which has been incredible as well.

My best advice would be to maintain the young spirit of your business, keep the excitement you had when you began.❤️

Message 103 of 117
Admin

@BalloonCelebrat Welcome to the Seller Community!

LOVE this. Also, very much resonate with maintaining the young spirit of your business. This applies to a lot of areas in life, a great reminder!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 104 of 117
Seller Community Mentor

That is so awesome!

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR