x

How does stripe work with my domain?

I really don't understand. I have my own website. How can I use stripe with my website? All I ever see is how to set up a square website. I don't need another website. I have my own.

Can someone explain this to me like I'm a 5-year-old? Can I use Square as my shopping cart on MY website? Will I have to pay a fee? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Sheasbathlab 👋

Where did you create your website? If you are hosting your site through a third party company, you will most likely need to check on their end to see what payment processors they offer. 

Depending on where you built your site, there may be a Square integration available. 

Square's processing fees are similar to the processing fees Stripe charges. Availability of the service also depends on where you are located.

Thanks for the inquiry! I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

Hi Sheasbathlab,

You may need to provide some more details as to what you have in mind so others may be able to help.  For example, you stated you have your own website - who is your site host - I'm assuming it's not Square.  If you want to use Square, you first need a Square Account - I'm guessing you have that already.

There's two ways you can use Square to sell online through your current website.  One method is to setup a free Square website with the items you plan to sell.  Yes, that means that you will have two web sites.  What you do next is link your free Square site to your current site - it's easy.  That's exactly what we have done and basically it's seamless to your customers.  Our main site describes our business, our products, has links to other sites, answers questions, has faq's and contact info.  In addition, it has a Shop link which takes the customers to our free Square site - there they can shop online and Square handles the rest.

Your other option is to build your own shopping cart and through the use of Square's APIs, SDKs and custom coding, you can then use Square to process your customer's purchases.  This method is used by Developers and more advanced coders. 

As for Stripe - like Square - it too is a credit card processing service.  There's pro's and con's for each so one has to do their homework to figure out which service best fits one's needs.   There's info here about both Square and Stripe.  Square is easier to use and jump into, whereas Stripe requires a bit more setup time if you want to take full advantage of its capabilities.   If you have an in-house developer and you only plan to sell online, Stripe may work well for you.  If you sell in person and also want to sell online - Square may be your better option. That's why we use Square.

Message 3 of 5

I am hosted on Hostinger. I do have a developer.

Am I able to do what you described without paying the $29 a month fee? 

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Hey there Sheasbathlab,

You can do exactly what I have done for FREE and you only pay Transaction Processing Fees when you have a sale.   However, if you need features that the Free version does not have or have other requirements, then you will need to upgrade to a paid plan.  

Message 5 of 5