x
Admin

Is anyone running influencer marketing campaigns for their restaurant?

Hey everyone!

I was reading this influencer marketing article in the bottom line, and was curious if anyone here is running any influencer marketing campaigns in their business?

What stood out to me the most was "81% of consumers reported researching or purchasing an item or service after seeing social media posts from influencers, friends, or family members within the past year." That is a massive stat that shows the power of this type of marketing. 

Hit reply, I would love to hear any influencer marketing stories from y'all! 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Square Community
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Beta Member

We’ve been slowly integrating this into our marketing. We invite local food influencers for a free meal and in return they post/film a video about their experience. One video received almost 300k views on IG 😅

Message 2 of 11
Admin

Oh very cool! Have you been noticing increase of sales as well?

Max Pete
Square Community
Message 3 of 11
Square Champion

Oooh, I'd love to hear some replies on this one! We get approached often by influencers, and something about it makes me uncomfortable. I think maybe It doesn't feel organic to me, which is something I've prided myself on in our marketing since Day 1. If an influencer happens to come in, enjoy their experience, and post about it -- that's awesome. But, I don't know, something about orchestrating it seems forced...

And yet, I follow a fair amount of influencers on Instagram and often appreciate their perspective and suggestions -- saves me time and money testing things out myself! So, I can see how it's beneficial... 

Would love to hear from more restaurant owners! (And just added that article to my list to reed, thanks @maxpete !)

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 4 of 11
Admin

I feel you on this! If it feels more organic, that is the way to go in my opinion. Maybe could test this out with a local influencer to see what it does in terms of growth and how it feels before launching a big campaign. 

Same here, interested in what other restaurant owners do!

Max Pete
Square Community
Message 5 of 11
Square Champion

Love that feedback @SSB_YVR ! I've been thinking a lot about this thread. There are a couple of local influencers who are super genuine and create great content, so we're going to give it a try! We'll see how it goes!

(Also, they have much bigger followings than us. TONS of the influencers who reach out to us have significantly fewer followers and less engagement than we do, so that's always amusing to me.)

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 6 of 11
Beta Member

The thing to remember is to treat them just like you would treat any other guest. You want them to capture what a true and authentic experience will be like for the average person. No special treatment.

We went super viral from teaming up with one influencer, but most of the others we have teamed up with has had a pretty average rate of success.

We allow them to bring 3 friends with them (we are in a Barcade, so its more enjoyable with a larger group of friends), we provide them with a free meal, a few free rounds of games, and some drinks. We never pay for them to come to us. If they want to come to us, that's our form of payment.

We had one influencer reach out to us and they didn't really do any food/restaurant reviews, they did the Keith Lee style of vlog where they would sit in their car and review food. But it was all really cringy content like "stealing fries from my girlfriend while she's got her period" LIKE WHAT THE F**K! They wanted to charge us over $1k just to come in, we told them "Sorry, but we don't pay for influencers, our form of payment is in the free food, games, and drinks" and they came back with "How about $900?". We didn't bother responding.

I put a few things to look out for in my post.
I do suggest influencer marketing, and I know it can be hard as you are trusting someone to portray your brand in a good way.

Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

We team up with influencers and its really hit and miss. Its also really hard to judge whether or not the marketing is working (in our experience).

We have had MAJOR success from teaming up and a few flops.
One influencer we teamed up with went SUPER viral and we had a line up out the door and people waiting over an hour and a half just to get in the door. Our Friday/Saturday sales went from being around $2k in food to over $10k in food and we just couldnt keep up. Like all viral stories, sales died down after a few months, but that one video propelled us and we are now one of the best and most popular burger restaurants in Vancouver.

Sadly, her video was either removed or she deleted it and we arent sure why. The video had over 1.5m views/plays and had 800k likes on instagram. Her video is still up on tiktok though.

With that major boost in revenue we were able to give our staff healthy bonuses (which we already do every 3 months), increased staff wage, and we were able to upgrade our flattop to a mush higher quality one.

We have been chasing that high ever since and havent been able to reach anything like it. Which is why we have the assumption that influencer marketing is VERY hit or miss.

We tend to reach out to influencers through IG and offer a free meal and games. We do have a few stipulations in order to partner up, like them adding "paid promotion" at the bottom of the text. That is a legal requirement in Canada, and we also dont want to give the impression that this is just someone coming into the store and filming. We do treat them like we treat everyone else so they have a true and authentic experience and I think that is key. You have to treat them as though they are just a regular customer, either wise what they post is not going to be a true experience for everyone else and it will only lead to your paying customers being let down.

If you havent partnered with influencers in the past and are a little scared, we hear you, we were too, but give it a chance and you never know. If I were to give you a little piece of advice, dont look at the follower count, look at the engagement level - How many views their content gets, how many comments, how many likes, those are your true indicators. If an influencer has a million followers but their videos are only getting 300 likes, you dont want to partner with them.

Oh also DO NOT GIVE AWAY THE FARM FOR AN INFLUENCER! Stand your ground, make your expectations clear right from the start and always ask them to add you as a collaborator and if you can use the video for your own marketing.

Message 8 of 11
Admin

This is all so super helpful!! Appreciate you sharing your experience and tips!

Max Pete
Square Community
Message 9 of 11
Square Champion

I haven't worked with an influencer specifically; my previous location did hire a local foodie to do some videos on the restaurants in the village. I would say, start developing a relationship with some local food influencers. Follow them on instagram/tiktok, comment on their posts, etc. It really is a relationship. With any marketing, it might not translate into direct sales, but more brand awareness. I find with our shop, being a bakery, people don't always need our services right away, but they follow us after seeing someone post and then they remember us when they do have an event. It's a long-game for sure. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 10 of 11
Admin

The long game strategy is so important. Brick by brick!

Max Pete
Square Community
Message 11 of 11