x
Admin

Sales Tax Q&A: How can we improve sales tax settings?

On November 10th, 2021 we hosted a Q&A with our Commerce Platform team which focused on sales tax settings.

Square-for-Restaurants_TMG_Dashboard_Medium.jpg

The Commerce Platform team manages the sales tax product experience: everything from configuring tax settings in the online Square Dashboard to applying taxes to a sale, reporting, and filing.

One of the main goals of this event from our side was to ensure you're getting the most out of your tax settings and identify where Square can improve. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the replies that came through on this post are considered as we iterate. Thank you to everyone who participated!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 146
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope your questions are answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to make improvements on Sales Tax settings. With that, I wanted to highlight a few themes from this discussion:

A few of the feature requests that you mentioned are coming soon and available for Beta

• Category based Tax configuration
  • Exemptions based on the Item price
  • Exemptions based on the total price of a few items in the cart

To request for Beta participation, please send a Private Message to @divyar if you would like to talk further.

General information about available features

• Dashboard Sales Tax has a new location and experience. To manage Sales Tax, go to Accounts and Settings > Business > Sales Tax on Dashboard. Read more in our Support Center: Create and Manage Your Sales Tax Settings.
  • We offer the ability to Disable a Tax temporarily. This can be used for tax holidays, when you open a booth at a different tax location and want the POS tax rate to not apply on the cart.
  • Sellers who include the tax in their item price can turn on the tax inclusive toggle in the Sales Tax page for accurate tax calculations.
  • With Square savings you can create a dedicated folder to hold your collected taxes.

Other top asks we heard from you which we are working on solving for 

• Square Online Taxes do not sync with POS taxes
  • Customer Based Tax Exemptions

We appreciate you taking the time to share and we'll continue to iterate Square’s products based on your business needs. To stay up-to-date on new feature launches, keep watch on the Product Updates board.

View Best Answer >

Message 144 of 146
145 REPLIES 145
Community Team

@butterflyam

Thank you for your feedback! We are looking to make this easier for sellers as they start scaling to multiple locations.

Message 106 of 146

I am a wedding venue and use the invoices mainly. Dealing with rentals and service fees many items do not have sales tax. I noticed when recently working in invoices I can no longer click to add or remove sales tax per item level on the invoice. This has been a great inconvenience. I use custom items regularly and do not create library items for all line items. 

Message 107 of 146
Square

Hi @Marlenes, it looks like your Sales Tax is marked as being disabled. In that case the tax won’t appear as being able to be selected on any of our products.

Message 108 of 146

I would pay a small monthly fee for a Tax Jar type of collection and dispersing service directly through Square. I only sell local because of all the tax laws. I would have to hire someone to keep it all straight. An accountant charges $75 an hour. Can’t afford that so we just don’t advertise anywhere but local. It costs us sells which in turn cost Square transaction fees. 

Message 109 of 146
Beta Member

I use Davo.  They integrate with Square and pull taxes every day and file for me every month.  They only charge 39.99 a month.  You can click the link to see what they are about.   https://www.davosalestax.com/integrations/?refSource=friend&refId=couey.michael@gmail.com

Message 110 of 146
Square

Thanks @JustMikes, We have integrations for TaxJar and Avalara as well in our Square App Marketplace.

Message 111 of 146

How did you set up a sales tax account in every state?

Message 112 of 146
Square

Hey @Tbauguss, Thanks for the feedback! We agree that this is a big pain point for our customers and we are working to solve it. For my own clarity, are you saying you avoid selling online to avoid the hassle of dealing with multiple tax jurisdictions?

Message 113 of 146

I avoid advertising out of state because of the sales tax nexus. Some states require a seller to have a tax ID and collect sales tax in their state if you advertise in the state. 

Message 114 of 146

Knowing what exactly is taxed in Michigan is difficult to determine. (Unless you like sifting through governmental blah blah. 🤣) Is there a way for Square to help with that? In my first year of business, I unfortunately had a lot of things marked taxable that should not have been.

Message 115 of 146
Square

Hi @ritaendres. We are exploring how we can improve Seller’s experience with these types of issues. Out of curiosity, what types of products did you run into issues with?

Message 116 of 146
Beta Member

I use Square Online and it only calculates sales tax for orders placed within in my state. We need a way to charge sales tax for other states as well and this isn't possible right now from what I can tell. Are there 3rd party apps we can add or am I going to have to leave Square Online for Shopify?

Message 117 of 146
Square

Hey @CarrieC. If you navigate to the Sales Tax settings page in Square Online you should be able to add an additional address in another state. If you do this Square Online should start automatically collecting tax in that state.

Message 118 of 146

Hello, How can I set up sales taxes on exempt clothing sold for less than $110 ( New York State Publication 718-C, Sales and Use Tax Rates on Clothing and Footwear )? Orders include sometimes no exempt items.

Thank you! Lana

Message 119 of 146
Square

Hey @lm64! I’m happy to say that this feature is currently in Beta. If you are interested I am happy to turn this feature (Rule-based Tax Exemptions) on for your account.

Message 120 of 146

Hello,

It would be great! I need to know what Beta is. I've never used this before. Thanks!

Lana

Message 121 of 146
Beta Member

is it possible to set up for the taxes the for here food with taxes and to go without?

Message 122 of 146
Square

Hey @Dolce. You should be able to accomplish this using Tax Rules. Here is a help article that explains how to accomplish this. Let me know if this addresses your issue.

Message 123 of 146
Beta Member

I cant see the link

Message 124 of 146
Square

Oops. It should be fixed now.

Message 125 of 146

I would just like to see total collected for a date range and you already offer that. Square is so easy to use, I recommend it to every business owner I know.

Message 126 of 146