x

Feeling the burn-out

I am not sure about you guys but I am feeling the burn out lately. We had a crazy summer with incredible growth and building a second location. I am struggling to find the motivation to create and execute. I recognize this feeling and I know it is burn out. Anything can distract me at this point lol

What do you do to stay focused and motivated during these seasons in business?

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Sorry to hear that you're feeling burnt out @Bronze_Palms! Glad that you're self-aware enough to know when to switch things up and reset a bit.

Linking to this previous thread from @tranguyen because there's some great tips here by @fscott5@TheRealChipA@phillipsrw, and more! 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Square Community
Message 2 of 12

For me right now I'm still getting use to my daughter's new school schedule.  I've never been an earlier riser so being able to adapt and stay motivated has been a challenge.  I make sure to take my multivitamins and workout even if it's just some stretches for 15 minutes or so.  I also make sure to drink more water than coffee because I don't need the crash from all the caffeine.  I also journal and try to read something I enjoy that has nothing to do with my business every day.  For me it's easy to just throw on lounge clothing and go about my day but I take the extra time to actually dress up and go about my day.  I truly believe when you look good, you feel good.  Just take things day by day and try not to overwhelm yourself.  If you need a little break, take it.  Whether it 10 mins, 20 mins, or a whole day, take it.  Be sure to take care of yourself first and always remember your why.

Jacqueline Mull
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Owner of Uniquely U Anime

Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

When I read this and followed your kind help instructions itโ€™s actually helped me to get through troubled times. Thank you for this x x xx. X 

Message 4 of 12
Square Champion

@Mikeychip78- ๐Ÿฅฐ I'm so glad it helped. You got this!

Jacqueline Mull

Message 5 of 12

First- it is amazing that you know you're getting burned out.... 

So many people don't recognize it and don't act until things are really really bad.

I'm feeling a little frazzled myself- I try and listen to my body and not force things... if I can't finish a task in a day- that's OK- I'm kind to myself.. if I need to sleep in a little- I let myself do it.

These days I feel like I can work 24/7/365 and STILL not get ahead. I remind myself it's not a race and make sure I remember where I started!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 6 of 12
Square Champion

@Bronze_Palms I know what you're feeling. This is our 5th fair back-to-back. Normally, it doesn't bother us, but this year has been busier than usual, which is odd because election year is normally slower than other years. We are just counting the days to December 2nd. That will be when we get home. That is what keeps us going right now.

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Ugh. This resonated with me. 

1. Sleeeeeeeeep. At least when I wake up feeling overwhelmed by everything, I can remind myself that I at least got a good night's rest. 

2. @JUYBoutique20 said it well. Take breaks when you need it. I try to remember that if I'm neglecting my health and wellness, I'm doing a disservice to myself and those I work with. 

3. @rtfulk something to look forward to/an end to the 'madness' always helps. 

Sending you wellness vibes @Bronze_Palms โœจ

Square Logo
Isabelle
Square Champions Program Manager

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

Message 8 of 12
Square Champion

๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

Jacqueline Mull

Message 9 of 12
Square Champion

I'm coming out of the other end of it - there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Spring is typically hectic for me, vineyard maintenance, crazy weeds, EOFY.. etc etc... but now pruning is done, we're winning the war on weed..pulling everything back on track..

I think the lesson here is, our business, regardless of nature, are cyclical - if you've conquered it before, you'll do it again (and again!)

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 10 of 12
Seller Community Mentor

I started feeling burn out last week.  I could see it coming.  I have so much going on and yesterday was a mentally/emotionally tough day for me.  I just wanted to be invisible.  I didn't even feel like doing the things that I want to do.  I have to remind myself in times like this that I brought this on myself.  I chose to make all of these commitments.  I chose to say yes to all of it.  But I also made the decision to cut one thing out.  I have to choose what I say yes to.  I had an important lunch meeting for business on Monday and I gladly excepted new responsibilities that I was asked to take on - with the understanding that I will only do what I am able with the time I have and not overextend myself and they understood.

I often tell people I mentor that you cannot eat an elephant all in one bite.  Take things one step at a time.  When I am sitting at my desk like a zombie, I take a 30 minute break and lay down.  I get a 20 minute power nap and feel great afterwards.  @JUYBoutique20 is exactly right.  Your wellbeing is of utmost importance.  It's good that you recognize where you're at.  You need to care for yourself as much as you care for your business.  Be kind to yourself โค๏ธ

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 11 of 12
Square Champion

๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

Jacqueline Mull