x

What Square reader should I buy for in-person events?

Let me start this post by saying that Square is failing EPICALLY at customer service and support right now. I came to Square for a card reader since I had an account with them almost a decade ago, but this time around the options and information I have found are confusing. I have now spent 40 minutes unsuccessfully trying to find the answer to my question in the help archives and unsuccessfully trying to get past the customer support bots to speak to a human. The first time I tried to make this post it was automatically deleted for unclear reasons.

ANYWAY, let's try this again.

I am trying to figure out what kind of reader is best for me to buy as an author who is going to begin selling books at pop-up events for the first time in 2024. It appears that Square magstripe readers do not read chips or contactless payment and vice versa. 

I am guessing that magstripes are probably the most universal form of payment since all of my credit and debit cards still have them, but I also know they can be quite glitchy and I am sometimes forced to use my chip or tap my card because the magstripe reader at the store is refusing to read my magstripe properly.

So what is the experience of people who use Square readers attached to mobile phones as their primary means of accepting payment? Are the magstripe or contactless or chip readers generally the most reliable?

The last answer to this question I could find in the community archives was from 2018, so I'm assuming a lot has changed since then.

Thank you for your time, community. 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@catherinecarr Welcome to the Community and sorry to hear that you've been having a hard time getting in touch with support around this!

If you're looking to read card chips and contactless pay, I recommend the Square Reader (2nd Gen)

My wife uses the Square Terminal for her pop-up events to be able to print receipts, etc. but it might be more than what you're looking for. 

Tagging some members here to add their insights and advice too @HC_Charlie and @mamac 

Hope this was helpful!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

@catherinecarr Welcome to the Community and sorry to hear that you've been having a hard time getting in touch with support around this!

If you're looking to read card chips and contactless pay, I recommend the Square Reader (2nd Gen)

My wife uses the Square Terminal for her pop-up events to be able to print receipts, etc. but it might be more than what you're looking for. 

Tagging some members here to add their insights and advice too @HC_Charlie and @mamac 

Hope this was helpful!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 4
Square Champion

Hello @catherinecarr thanks for your post. I'm sorry you're having trouble getting some support with this issue. As @maxpete mentioned, I'd also agree that the contactless reader is the best and simplest reader to use. It uses Bluetooth to wirelessly contact your phone/app with the reader. Customers can pay by inserting their chip enabled card into a slot, or they can use the Tap to Pay feature. Customers can also use their phones to pay (tap) if they have that feature on their individual phones.

The magstripe reader is not as universal, and doesn't offer the same protections as using the chip or tap features on the latest credit card. I've found most of my customers have a chip in their card, or use their phone or watch even for payment.

Charlie
Homestyle Charlie
Handmade Heirloom Ornaments & Charms
Check our links for retail Etsy orders and Wholesale Ordering Info
Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

@catherinecarr ;

The type of reader you need would be based on a few things.

Is the reader compatible with your Device (cell phone in this case)?

The Mag readers use the Headphone port or Lighting Port in an Apple Phone.  My Android FE20 does not even have a Headset port for me to use a Magnetic reader to swipe, so look for this on your device first.  

Link to mag readers:  https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware/reader 

In 2023 I had under 2% swiped Credit Cards.

Now for the Bluetooth readers these work for most Phones that have Bluetooth enabled.  Just make sure when connecting it by Bluetooth to your device you connect it with your Square App and NOT just your cell phone or it will not work.

Link for Bluetooth Readers :  https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware/contactless-chip-reader 

In 2023 I had 97% of credit card sales either Tapped or Dipped with the Bluetooth reader.  This includes the Smart Devices that you can Tap to pay for people that do not carry a Credit card with them.

The other thing to watch for is people now also use Apple Pay or Google Pay on phones or watches which only works with the Bluetooth Chip Readers when comparing these 2 devices.

The Square Terminal I do not have, witch can do all forms of payments, but would need you to use your cell as a Hot Spot since the Terminal needs an internet connection.  The connection is only through a Wifi signal not a Cell Tower.  Just mentioning this so you are prepared for your events.  

https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware/terminal  

All Square Devices need an Internet connection to work.  The Bluetooth and Mag readers just use the devices internet connection if available.  The terminal uses a Wifi signal either from a Wifi network or from a Cell or similar device used as a Hot spot and brocasting an Internet Wifi Connection.  As you can see with my above sales %, Most are through the Bluetooth Device with Tap and Dip, and under 2% is with the Swipe of a Magnetic card only or a Bad Chip.  I have both so I do not loose a sale, but even with No reader you can also do the Keyed in information which does take longer and is a slower process for your customers.  I also use this method for Phone orders but that also is under 2% in yearly sales in 2023.  I also figure with these percentages you may be able to meake a better decision for your own event.  Neither the Bluetooth, the Mag Readernor the Terminal need an outlet to operate.  The Bluetooth reader and Terminal have Internal rechargeable batteries for Pop up events.  The Mag reader uses the Devices battery that it plus into for power.

Hope all this helps you on you choice(s).

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4